Given that vasectomy:
- Is one of the most effective contraceptive options currently available,
- Is one of the most cost effective options,
- Is safer and slightly more effective than female sterilization,
- Inspires male participation,
- Has not been as thoroughly researched as other forms of FP.
- Lacks qualified providers in many parts of the world trained in evidence-based techniques;
- Is potentially reversible;
- Should be available everywhere; and
- Lacks a single institution in the world dedicated to its research and knowledge transfer;
World Vasectomy Day, Inc., NSVI (No Scalpel Vasectomy International) and the Fonds Michel- Labrecque en santé reproductive masculine from the Fondation de l’Université Laval, Quebec City, Canada, along with Profamilia, Colombia, and Pop Council Mexico are proposing to launch the first ever Center of Excellence for Vasectomy and Vasectomy Reversal to feature and cultivate best practices. The goal is to announce the project publically with a blueprint for its implementation including budget and schedule, by November 22, 2019.
This Center will focus on five themes
The proposed WVD Center for Excellence is the first program where best practices in vasectomy are offered to ensure sustainable, effective and scalable programs for male engagement in family planning.